Superior Health Plan
Health Care Services
Superior HealthPlan is a managed health-care company that provides health care for many Texans. Superior began in El Paso in 1999. Today, Superior serves members in all 254 counties across the state.
Superior works with the State of Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) to bring you STAR (Medicaid), Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), CHIP Perinatal Care and STAR+PLUS and STAR Health. Superior has been the exclusive provider of STAR Health since 2008. Below is more information on the programs offered by Superior HealthPlan in partnership with the State of Texas:
- CHIP Perinate: Designed to provide prenatal and delivery services to unborn children of low-income pregnant women who do not qualify for Medicaid.
- CHIP and CHIP RSA: Health-care coverage available to families who earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but who can’t afford to buy private insurance.
- STAR (Medicaid) and STAR MRSA: Health-care coverage for many low-income families.
- STAR+PLUS (Medicaid): Health-care coverage for qualified low-income people who are elderly or who have a disability.
- STAR Kids: Health care for children with disabilities, special needs or chronic conditions, who are age 20 or younger.
- STAR Health: Health-care coverage for children/young adults in foster care. If you would like to learn more about the STAR Health program, click here to visit our foster care website.
- STAR+PLUS Medicare-Medicaid Plan (MMP): Health care for seniors and people with disabilities who are enrolled in Medicare Parts A, B, and D and receive full Medicaid benefits.
- Superior HealthPlan Medicare Advantage (HMO SNP): A Medicare Advantage program for members who are eligible for both Medicaid and Medicare (dual eligible). If you are a STAR+PLUS member and qualify for Medicare you may be able to enroll.
Superior is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Centene Corporation, a Fortune 500 company. Centene is a diversified, multi-national healthcare enterprise that provides a portfolio of services to government-sponsored healthcare programs, focusing on under-insured and uninsured individuals. Many receive benefits provided under Medicaid, including the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), as well as Aged, Blind or Disabled (ABD), Foster Care and Long Term Care (LTC), in addition to other state-sponsored/hybrid programs and Medicare (Special Needs Plans). The Company operates local health plans and offers a range of health insurance solutions. It also contracts with other healthcare and commercial organizations to provide specialty services including behavioral health management, care management software, correctional healthcare services, dental benefits management, in-home health services, life and health management, managed vision, pharmacy benefits management, specialty pharmacy and telehealth services.